Hello fellow lovely bloggers! You’ve just published your blog, finished my complete guide to starting a profitable blog, or have recently decided to start taking blogging seriously, and now you need to build a following. You want to know exactly how to get readers and drive traffic to your site from day 1, but have absolutely no idea where to start.
Well, I am going to walk you through how to get your new blog in front of eager readers! Whether you are brand new or if you have been blogging for a while but feel that your numbers aren’t where you want them to be, you are in the right place!
These are the exact methods I used to get over 70K pageviews in 3 months with my new blog!
- Share on social media
- Pinterest Aka: The holy grail of blogging
- Blog Hops and Link Parties
- Comment on other blogs
- Refer back to other blogs
- Giveaways & freebies
- Interlinking posts
1. Share on Social media
When your blog is brand new, it is unlikely that you will get many – if any- readers to your site by just simply launching your blog into cyberspace. To drive readers to your site you need to put your blog directly in front of your reader’s eyes! The easiest way to do this is through social media!
If you read my first blogging post How to Start a Profitable Blog – A Complete Step by Step Guide then you probably noticed one of my essential steps laid out is to create social media accounts for your blog.
This means a Facebook page, Pinterest account, Instagram, Twitter, the works. These accounts give you a platform to share your content with the world, helping you reach potential readers.
Create Social Media Accounts and post on them daily!
- Pin your blog posts to Pinterest
- Share blog posts on FB/Instagram/Twitter
- Share on your personal accounts along with your blog accounts
- Invite your current followers to like/follow your blog accounts
- Use #Hashtags on Instagram and Twitter
- Use a Call to Action when sharing (ask your followers and friends to share your post!)
- Add share buttons to your posts – I use the SumeMe plugin from Sumo! (See my cute gray share bubbles? Plus they areawesomee for building your email list as well!)
- Always use great pictures!
You don’t have to post on every account every day but post on at least one account daily. You can share a post on your facebook page one day then update your twitter the next.
2. Pinterest (The holy grail of blogging)
Yes, Pinterest is so essential for building my traffic up to 70k pageviews that it gets it’s very own section!
There is nothing else that drives my traffic quite like Pinterest, but there are a few steps to take to get the most out of your account.
- Create a business account.
- Enable rich pins
- Here is an awesome post on how/why this is so important!
- Pin Daily
- Pinterest “ranks” you as a pinner, and people who pin often (30-50), their pins rank higher in the search (show up first) which means more eyes on your pins and more traffic to your posts!
- Create “pinnable” images
- Images that do best on Pinterest are long and skinny.
- Use warm colors
- Have no faces in them.
- Join and pin to group boards
- This is how you get mega exposure! Use Pingroupie to find Pinterest group boards that are relevant to your posts/niche and ask to be invited as a collaborator. Group boards can have thousand of followers and are the best way to get your pins out there especially when you have a small or no following.
3. Blog Hops/Link Parties
Blog hops and link parties are awesome when you are just starting out or when you need an extra boost! They are a campaign set up by a blog/website where you can feature your own content with an image and a link back to your site.
All you do is add your URL, add a picture and post! It is that easy, and now you have your posts out there on someone else’s site where their readers can find you too!
Some great ways to find these blog hops and link parties are through a Pinterest search or through Linky Tools, but my favorite way to find them is to simply google search “link parties mm/dd” because there is often a certain amount of time like a week or so that you can submit your links. For example, I could search “link parties 3/08” and it is usually the first link to Linky tools that does the best for me.
I used blog hops and link parties a ton during my first few months of blogging to help me gain some readers!
4. Comment on other blogs
Commenting on other blogs, especially blogs that are similar to yours can also help drive traffic from other blogs.
When commenting on other blogs to gain traffic…
- Be sincere and authentic
- Comment on posts you really like, not just as many as you can tackle in a day.
- People sniff out fake in seconds and no one likes a spammer on their site. Instead, comment on blogs and post that you actually like and are inspired by. When your comment is authentic and adds value people are bound to want to check out who you are. Plus this is where you can actually make some great friends/connections in the blogging world so don’t be spammy with a “come to my site” sticker stuck on your forehead.
- Add your site link in the comments
- Most comment sections will have a spot to put in your site, but if it doesn’t you can add your URL to the end of your comment.
Good place to start? Right here! Add a comment and your link down below and I’ll be sure to check out your site!
5. Referring other blogs
Good karma is what this is, you add a link back to their site, they are bound come check you out and possibly mention you in the future. So add links to other sites and blogs when relevant. You help them, they help you kind of thing.
Plus there are SEO benefits as well, making your site more valuable.
6. Giveaways & Freebies
Giveaways and freebies are amazing for driving traffic! People are all about anything free so these methods are awesome for building your traffic! You can offer physical or digital products and require a follow on social media or to subscribe to your email list. That means more readers for the future!
- Decide your product
- Create rules to enter (tag a friend, follow on Instagram, 1 entry per person, etc.)
- Share on social media and your blog
- Pick a winner!
I did a few product giveaways when I first started and that is where I got my first 100 Instagram followers in only a few days!
SEO or Search Engine Optimization. I am still a beginner at SEO but I am willing to share what little I do know and use myself!
Effective SEO will result in more users finding your site through search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing and help you rank higher on those sites.
- Set up an SEO plugin
- I use Yoast SEO and love it! It is so simple to configure and use.
- Always use keywords in your posts!
- This is also key to making more money on your ads!
- Use H2 headers
- Interlink your posts
- Set up custom permalinks
If this is all gibberish to you like it was to me, this post will explain exactly how to do these things and what they mean!
8. Interlink your posts!
This means adding links to other articles on your site within your posts. This helps you take advantage of the readers that do come to your site!
Within this pos,t I have already linked my How to Start a Profitable Blog post which means that people like you who are reading this post can click right through to another post of mine that is relevant to what they are already reading. See what I did there? 😉
Only interlink posts that will benefit your reader or is similar/a similar topic to each other. Again, you don’t want to spam your readers or they likely won’t want to come back!
Remember your main focus as a blogger should be to help your readers!
When it comes down to driving killer traffic, it really all goes back to content. If you have great content then the readers will come, you just have to get it out there and these 8 methods are exactly what I did to get my posts out there resulting in 70k pageviews in only 3 months.
I know if you honestly put the work into and implement each method you will see results in your traffic and soon!
Don’t forget to add a link to your site below, I’d love to check it out!Cassie Jean